Following a severe accident or personal injury, your next step should be meeting with a Personal Injury Attorneys In Alexandria to discover what your legal options are if you should file a personal injury lawsuit, and what the personal injury claims process will entail.
The Initial Interview
The complexity of the case and how well prepared you are for the meeting dictates the length of your initial consultation. Simple cases involving injuries related to most car accidents will generally require less time than cases involving more intricate issues, like medical malpractice or product liability lawsuits.
To understand the specifics of your case, your lawyer will cover a multitude of topics, and you should be prepared for everything. Topics covered will almost certainly include:
- Your accident and injury;
- Your medical treatment;
- Your current medical condition;
- Your insurance coverage and if you have spoken to adjusters;
- Potential witnesses;
- Representation agreement;
- Varying legal fees; and
- The types of costs associated with your case.
When a Lawyer Denies Your Case
Not every lawyer will accept every case they are offered. Your injury attorney will most likely be able to tell you if he or she will take your case at the end of your first meeting. The most common reasons a lawyer will decline to accept your case include:
- Current caseload is too cumbersome;
- Lack of capabilities or specialties;
- Economic situation (how much time/money they will need to spend on your case vs. your potential settlement amount);
- Family responsibilities.
Of course, it could also …